Friday, May 10, 2019

Circe by Madeline Miller: Is The Hype Justified?



Circe is born of New York Times Best Seller, Author of Song of Achilles, Madeline Miller. Until recently Miller has been an unknown author to me, as I am generally a YA novel reader and Circe has a permanent home in the adult fiction where I briefly wander through.

It is safe to say that Circe has caught my eye since its release in April 2018. I couldn’t bring myself to purchase the hardback of a novel and author I hadn’t heard of so when it was released in paperback, I hadn’t hesitated in buying and reading almost immediately.

I first picked up Circe to read as a part of my April O.W.Ls and used the excuse of exams to procrastinate my work load in order to get through a big chunk o the book! I had tracked my reading time with the Bookly App and the handy thing about the Bookly is that the more time you spend reading it estimates how much longer you have till you finish, quite handy if I do say so myself... According to Bookly I had read Circe in just over five hours.

Like most of my TBR I do little to no research on the subject and Circe is very much centered around Greek Mythology; my own knowledge being based on Primary School lessons and reading Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief… To some that may have been setting myself up to fail, but I do like to give myself a challenge.

I swiftly discovered that Circe wouldn’t be a novel that I struggle through due to my lack of knowledge. Although I didn’t know who the godlike families were or who the named people were (or even how to pronounce them) Miller’s focus wasn’t on anyone that didn’t stick around throughout the story; for those that did, they were etched into the grounds that Circe walked for the rest of her story.

The story in general is retelling of the life of Circe, Witch of Aiaia, the story being almost like a diary for Circe to vent through. Miller’s novel was unique to me, that being because the novel began with no introduction from the adult but just her story from birth — a catch-up if you will, there was no reason to big up the story before it had begun, to Circe it was just a matter of fact.

I find Circe’s story to be a mix of obscurity and realism, I can’t say I relate to Circe having a father that glows golden like the sun like Helios but I do recognise the need to make someone proud, regardless of my own personal morals; I level with Circe at that. Besides the obscurity of the people, Miller’s writing has managed to break down the divinity of these Greek Gods and Goddess’; Athena has lost her power over man but instead being jealous, Hermes the messenger God turned spiteful juvenile with his words. These ordinary ‘God’ alongside the story of Scylla and the battle of troy are turned into your morning coffee read.

Circe isn’t just another story of the Gods and Titans. It’s a story of a woman trying to gain favor, of a woman wanting to be included and loved for what she is worth. Circe is the Greek fighter for women, the goddess who wants no praise and a woman not scared of fighting for who or what she wants.

There is real merit to Miller for her writing. It is seamless and inclusive written in active voice but regardless of the technicalities I can point out; Miller achieved retelling Circe’s story as if it was written for her descendants. She wrote Circe out of Olympus, told her story because must be heard. In a modern world where our fears of war, of isolation and worse can be leveled and appreciated within her work. Circe wasn’t just a banished Goddess, feared by Zeus. She was a woman who instead of hiding from her fear and becoming her isolation, she welcomed them in. Brought those fears into her safe space, fooled them and overcame them. But above all, when Circe lost hope for herself, it was at a point where Miller wouldn’t let her audience do the same; from the very beginning you would be fighting Circe’s course without truly knowing it and when Circe finds hope the book ends. All you have left is your imagination of the life she had, the adventures, the relationships, her family.

Circe by Madeline Miller is a thrilling, inspiring novel of the Greek Goddess turned Sorceress. A read so enticing that you forget where the time goes; A credit, more than just a credit, is due to Miller for her fantastic writing and story-telling  a truly magical read for all, no matter your prior knowledge.

If you give Circe a read, or have read it in the past, let me know your opinions!

Social Media

Instagram: @Makemeshakspeare
Twitter: @makemejessica
Goodreads: @makemeshakespeare

2 comments:

  1. Fab review lovely! Really captured what the book is about

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

O.W.Ls Resit June 2019

Hey Guys, How are you all doing? I’m sure if you have been around the BookTube or BookBlog hemisphere recently you might’ve heard o...